Dear Students, Teachers, School Administrators, and Parents
Please accept Discovering New Artists (DNA) invitation to participate in the 5th Art for Change – International Child Art Competition and Exhibition 2018. This competition was established in 2014 to build a bridge between the privileged and underprivileged communities of Pakistan and support marginalized children in their education through arts. Although national initially, last year DNA took it to an international level since it has become well known among teachers and children in many different countries due to its innovative and beneficial model for the children from all economic backgrounds.
Art for Change puts special emphasis not only on arts education but also on the fact that we should be socially responsible citizens of our country. It operates on the following model to bring a positive change in the society;
“A small registration fee (token) from a private/elite school student enables the team of DNA to buy art materials and equip marginalized children to participate on the same platform for free of cost – The drawing/paintings sold in art exhibitions across Pakistan and internationally help us sponsor the education of marginalized children and promote arts education among children from all economic backgrounds.”
Discovering New Artists believes in promoting creativity and channeling it for generating positive messages and hopeful ideas. Since 2014, 15,500 students have drawn/painted on different themes and supported 7,750 students from marginalized communities to be part of the competition and exhibitions.
However, the journey carries on. With support from our partners, this year we want the children from Pakistan to explore and express their ideas on how to counter the climate change we are facing globally. DNA provides the children an opportunity to draw something to convince through their art the ways to conserve water and find solutions to combat climate change and save the earth. Thus, the themes for Art for Change – 5th International Child Art Competition & Exhibition are "Water Conservation" and “Save the Earth”.
Your school’s participation will give a chance to thousands of students from marginalized children to be part of the competition. Therefore, we would like to request you to submit maximum artworks in order to bridge the gap between privileged and underprivileged communities and showcase your work internationally.
We hope to see wonderful art entries. Best of Luck!
Hassan Mujtaba Zaidi
Founder & Executive Director
Discovering New Artists
Theme 1: “Save the Earth” (for 4-9 Years)
Theme 2: “Water Conservation” (for 10-15 Years)
Please refer to the age-group and category carefully
- Category – I: 4 – 6 Years
- Category – II: 7 – 9 Years
- Category – III: 10 – 12 Years
- Category – IV: 13 – 15 Years
- Category – V: Special Needs (4 – 9 Years)
- Category – VI: Special Needs (10 – 15 Years)
30 Cash Prizes | 1 National Trophy | 150 Medals of Excellence | 5 Exhibitions | Exclusive Childrens’ Workshops
National Cash Prizes
Cash prizes will be awarded to top 5 winners from each category. Artworks will be displayed in Exhibitions at 5 venues.*
1st Prize: Rs. 10,000 + Medal + Exhibition in Pakistan, US, UK
2nd Prize: Rs. 8,000 + Medal + Exhibition in Pakistan, US, UK
3rd Prize: Rs. 6,000 + Medal + Exhibition in Pakistan, US, UK
4th Prize: Rs. 4,000 + Medal + Exhibition in Pakistan, US, UK
5th Prize: Rs. 2,000 + Medal + Exhibition in Pakistan, US, UK
5 major exhibitions will be held in
Lahore | Islamabad | Karachi
Washington, D.C (US) | London (UK)
1 National Public Choice School Trophy Award – School with the most entries received will win this title.
Each school submitting a minimum of 75 artworks will receive a special ‘Art for Change School Trophy’ upon conclusion of the competition and exhibition.
- ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ will be awarded to each participating school for making a positive change through participation.
- ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ will be awarded to one coordinating official from each school in Art for Change competition.
- ‘Certificate of Participation’ will be given to each participating student.
- Each selected participant for exhibition will receive a ‘Medal of Excellence’.
- Selected artworks will be exhibited in 5 major cities nationally and internationally.
Rules & Guidelines
Please adhere to the following rules and guidelines below;
- Countries: This is an international child art competition and exhibition and welcomes submissions from all schools and individuals from Pakistan.
- Age Limit: Eligibility of participants ranges from 4 – 15 years of age.
- Number of Entries: Participants may submit up to a maximum of 2 art entries with each entry having a separate submission process. (Separate Fee & Submission Form).
- Size of Artwork: Only A3 size (12 inches x 17 inches) sheets should be used for all types of artworks. Any other size will automatically be disqualified. (Mandatory)
- Medium: The work may be drawn or painted in pencil, pen, charcoal, crayon, pastel, watercolor, gouache, acrylics, oils, poster color and collage. We are looking for hand-drawn colorful artwork- they should not use digital tools to create their artwork. For display purposes, colorful entries are preferred.
- The entries employing colors that can be dusted or wiped off or that could dirty other entries when dealt with together must be fixed (pastel etc.).
- Children with special needs may receive assistance from their parents, guardians, or teachers with their work.
- Submission Forms: Works of art must be labeled using the art work submission form which should be filled in fully and neatly. Please do not write on the front of the artwork
- Any art work received with incomplete or without the submission form will not be accepted.
- Originality: All work should be original or will result in disqualification.
- Judging: The entries will be judged by a panel of senior jury artists. The entries will be judged on the basis of originality, concept, and idea.
- Rights: Discovering New Artists holds the right to reject any applicant without reason.
- Discovering New Artists reserves copyrights on all submitted pieces. No artwork & entry fee will be returned or refundable.
- All work will remain the property of the Discovering New Artists which may use, sell, or exhibit them for appropriate non-profit making purposes within its own activities.
- Mailing Art Entries: All entries should be dropped off at the school office or mailed to Discovering New Artists before the deadline.
- All schools are responsible for submitting a separate list of participants in order to receive the participation certificates. (mandatory)
- Discovering New Artists is not responsible if some works do not reach them.
- Announcement: The results will be announced on our website and Facebook page. All the selected school entries will be notified through their school emails. Only individual entries will be notified on their emails. Non-selected entrants will not be notified of the results.
Judging will be based on the following criteria
Originality | Creativity & Interpretation | Relevance to the Theme | Visual Impact
Early Bird Registration Deadline: 15th October 2018
Submit your art entries by
19th November 2018
No entry will be accepted after the above deadline.
Fee Per Art Entry: Rs. 400/-
Fee On 30 or more submissions on Early Bird Registration: Rs. 350/- (by 15th October 2018)
There is NO submission fee for NGO/ community-run schools.
For all cities in Pakistan, the fee can only be submitted in the following ways;
- Demand Draft ONLY drawn in the name of ‘Discovering New Artists’.
- Direct Online Bank Transfer
- Bank Name: Habib Bank Limited
- Account Title: Discovering New Artists
- Account No. # 0545-7901-2525-03
No cross-cheques will be accepted as part of the submission fee from the schools.
Note: Demand Draft and/or Online Bank Transfer receipt should be delivered along with the artwork submission.
Attach the artwork submission forms at the back of the artworks and fill out the school registration form (only for school submission) and send your artworks along with the fee receipt to the following address;
Ms. Sidra Ali (Project Director)
Art for Change Submissions
Discovering New Artists
50-E, Sui Gas Society (Near DHA Phase V)
For queries, please feel free to email Art for Change team at firstname.lastname@example.org